Wednesday, August 17, 2005

End of summer

It has been a busy summer. I worked with three Algebra I students, rescued them from the horrors of district summer school. Then a few weeks with elementary school severe needs kids. That was a blast, great kids, great teacher and paras. Finally a three week program to get high risk middle school students up to speed for the regular school year.

School starts next week. Looks like I will be doing a repeat of last year’s “Topics in Mathematics” for the academic top kids in 6th grade. Plus a new class; try to squeeze Algebra I into two days a week for the bright 7th graders. And a classroom of my own! – just big enough for eight students. No more trying to teach in the library with story time and various other distractions going on.

The rest of my time will be in the severe needs classroom. We have more room there as well; the home economics classroom next door is now ours. So we can move the kitchen out of the changing room.

So a very optimistic start to the school year. The political nonsense from last year is mostly behind us, a much less crowded school, and the new IB program. I am established as “super volunteer” and have a program to run.
More to follow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?