Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Missing some kids

We seem to be short a few students at school. Part of the shortfall is illness, kids getting sick AFTER the winter break. More significant is a large number of students taking extended vacations in Mexico. Staff is envious.

I am not so sure; I had a talk with one young man about his vacation. Some of his brothers were born in the US, hence are US citizens, some were born in Mexico and are not. The whole family has had some experience with the criminal justice system here. Every year they take a three day drive, in two cars, to their hometown in Mexico.

His description of Juarez? "The whole place smells like a dead dog".

.....

I continue to snarl at the "Connected Math" text book. Not only is it purely constructive, it is also a poor job of the constructive approach. Why don't school districts write their own text books and publish via photocopy? Why do they spend good money on this junk?

Comments:
You know, I spent an entire summer in Cuernavaca, which is supposed to be the city of perpetual spring. While it didn't compare with your student's description of Juarez, I couldn't help but notice that I smelled gasoline all the time, no matter where I was.

On the other hand, I love Mexico in general. Haven't been in ten years.
 
School districts don't write textbooks. People write textbooks.
So get started, if you don't like the existing one. Then market forces can take over.
 
I am writing my own handouts for one of my classes.

I have owned and operated my own engineering contract and consulting firms for many years and know something about market forces. There are few aspects in life so divorced from the market as education.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?