Monday, January 09, 2006

You want a WHAT?

I have been trying to get an e-mail address on the school district system. I miss school announcements on a regular basis and think it inappropriate that I communicate to the staff about a student using my personal e-mail address. No big deal, right?

Try pulling teeth. The district e-mail Lord doesn't know what box to check on his form for "volunteer" and has gone quite catatonic on the subject. It has been two months since the school has sent in the request and no sign of an address.

Today I sent a slightly sarcastic memo to the district superintendent asking if we could make an exception to the maxim that rules are more important than people. I don't expect results but I feel better.

In general schools don't deal with volunteers very well.
Administrators don't quite like the fact that they are not on the payroll, hence can't be controlled.

Teachers are a little nonplussed as well. "You want to help me?, nobody has ever offered help before, what's the catch?"

Unions suspect that somehow this is taking membership dues away from their coffers.

If you do find a niche and start making a contribution you will become a treasured asset to the school. It is very rewarding. Just don't ask for an e-mail address from the district office.

Comments:
It may be small consolation, but I'm a full-time teacher for NYC and my city email address doesn't work either.

Furthermore, I don't know a single teacher whose Dept. of Ed. email address works.
 
The line "but it made me feel better" might stick with me for a long long time.

I often wonder why I want to email things to people that will in no way help my sitution. Thats why.

The only difference between generations is that I throw away the email after I write it. Maybe that will change when I get all old.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?